Tuesday, December 29, 2015

추석 파티!!!! Thanksgiving Party!!!!

09/27/15

안녕하세요, 여러분!!

It has been yet another super exciting week!  It was 추석 this week, which is basically Korean thanksgiving.  All of the Korean people leave to go to their parents'/ancestral home, and then they eat all day, and do something weird with ancestor stuff.  I don't really understand it.  But anyway, after about Thursday, we saw maybe 3 people in total for the last 4-5 days.  Yeah, 추석 is a huge party.  But President Sonksen knew about how huge it was, so we had a big conference on Saturday, and deep cleaned our houses on Friday.  

The Saturday conference was pretty sweet.  We went bowling to start our day off.  I got a whole 84 points, a new high score!!  Yay!!  I am so terrible at bowling.  For just about the rest of the day, until we went back to 화양 (Hwayang), I was kickin' it with Elder Baird.  It was so fun to see him again, even though it's only been like a week.  

I have also concluded that about 70% of the people here are some sort of crazy.  Just about everywhere we go, we find someone that's talking to themselves or something.  Half the time, my companion doesn't even know what they're saying.  For example, we met an old man on the street sometime this week.  He was very nice, but he had a very interesting conception of God.  We asked him what he believed about God, and he said, "I believe that God is water."  We didn't even know what to say to that.  And then, there's Gloria Sanchez, who, believe it or not, is Korean.  Her English name is Gloria, and she likes the name Sanchez, because she likes learning Spanish.  She is pretty much crazy.  She is one of our English class students.  She comes to the advanced class area, but she really needs to be in basic, maybe intermediate.  She can speak a little bit of English, and, technically she can speak Korean, but nobody can understand it.  She reminds me of an anteater when she speaks, because her tongue is in her lips.  I don't even know.  

Again, for 추석, we had a fun time on Sunday.  Nobody told us that our church time had changed, so we were all just chilling at the church, waiting for people to come, and then no one did.  We found out from a member that it had changed to 4 in the afternoon.  After that, we had a small 추석 meal that a member brought us, because he was not going to be at church.  And then, for church, all we did was watch Meet the Mormons.  I did almost tear up at the missionary mom part, but I'm okay now.  We did have sacrament meeting after that, at about six, and our progressing investigator, 김용일, or Mike, came!  It was his first time there!  That is so exciting!!  If he comes 2 more times, he can be baptized.  I would just love it for him to be baptized, because his wife is already baptized, and I would really like them to be together forever.

That's all for this week, I think.

With love,
Elder Tyler Conley
 Funny email tag
 Tyler with Korean elders
Boiling pig intestine soup
The next week I asked Tyler if he tried the soup.  Here's his response:
"Of course I tried my intestine soup!  It was really good.  You could just feel the insides of the intestine falling apart in your mouth and just dissolving on your tongue.  I am sure Dad would like it.  Maybe I will be able to get some at the Korean market when I get home, and you can try it."  Ewwww!

No comments:

Post a Comment